This article is on Pete Edochie biography and other interesting facts about the legendary actor and entertainer.
PETE EDOCHIE BIOGRAPHY
Chief Pete Edochie is a popular veteran Actor in Nigeria. He was born on the 7th of March, 1947 in Enugu State, Nigeria. He is from Anambra State, Nigeria. He finished his primary and secondary education in Zaria, Nigeria. He furthered his education in the School of Journalism and Television in England where he studied a course in Journalism and Television. In 1967, at the age of 20, he joined the Eastern Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation (ENBC) which was later renamed Anambra Broadcasting Service (ABS).
In 1980, he was trained in the British Broadcasting Corporation as a Broadcaster and worked as Junior Programmes Assistant after which he was raised to the level of a Director of Programmes but sometimes doubling as a Managing Director. He left the Job later because the government decided to politicize the administration of the radio station. This is how he came into the film industry. He came into lime light when he played the lead role as Okonkwo in an NTA adaptation of Chinua Achebe’s all time best selling novel ‘Things Fall Apart’ . He was awarded an international Award, the BBC flew to Nigeria just to have an interview with him on his role in Things Fall Apart.
He was honored as a member of the order of Niger by the then President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2003. In 2005, Pete Edochie was among the several actors who were put on one year ban by the Actor’s Guild of Nigeria for their demanding of exorbitant fees from producers due to their celebrity status. This was called the Famous G8,this caused a major setback in the Nigerian Film Industry. In September 2017, he endorsed Wikimedia Movement in Nigeria by his appearance in a video to help create and increase awareness and the use of Wikipedia among the older generation .
PETE EDOCIE AWARDS Ι PETE EDOCHIE BIOGRAPHY
- The Evergreen Awards.
- The pioneer Actor’s award.
- The Best Actor in Africa award in 2001.
- The Best Actor in Nigeria award in 2003.
- University of Nigeria Theatre Arts Achievement Award.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka Theatre Arts Achievement Award.
- Actors Guild of Nigeria Grand Patron award.
- The Most Creative Veteran award.
- The Ebubudike of Nigeria by St. Peter’s Catholic Church.
- Nollywood outstanding Personalities Award(NOPA) presented by National Association of Movie Journalists.
- The Award of Excellence presented by National Association of Anambra State Students.
PETE EDOCHIE PERSONAL LIFE Ι PETE EDOCHIE BIOGRAPHY
Chief Pete Edochie is married to Josephine and they have been married for more than 45 years. He got married at the age of 22. They have six children; five sons and a daughter. Him and his wife, Josephine has always encouraged their children to chase their goals and achieve them. For example, Pete Edochie bought a car for each of his children as a motivation to them after they graduated from the University. He did this to save them from peer pressure and for them to achieve their goals. Two of his sons- Linc Edochie and Yul Edochie are recognized figured in the Nigeria Film Industry.
They have always been rumors in the media that Pete Edochie is married to Rita Edochie – a Nigerian actress- because of the similarities in their surnames but she is actually his sister-in-law married to his younger brother.
In 2013, a 24 years old man ‘Ephy Saint’ from Kenya shocked many by his claim that his mother told him that Pete Edochie was his father. Pete Edochie cleared this by denying the allegations emphasizing that he is not a wayward person and he has never been to Kenya.
PETE EDOCHIE TWITTER ACCOUNT Ι PETE EDOCHIE BIOGRAPHY
Pete Edochie is available on social media, he is always on his Twitter account – @Pete_Edochie where he post some funny Proverbs. Some of his quotes are:
- When the mouse laughs at the cat, there is a hole nearby.
- You can keep the sound and get your money if you sell your drum to your village.
- A Goat can be taken to the market even if it frowns.
- Today, boys just remove earphones when they want to greet the elders, unlike in the past when they used to take off their hats.
PETE EDOCHIE NET WORTH
The legendary Nollywood film actor is worth $3.8 million.