Oyenike late Oturuwas also known as Nikki Laoye is a Nigerian singer, dancer, songwriter, and occasional writer, who has become popular for her musical talent. This article covers Nikki Laoye biography and other interesting facts about her. She was born on the 19th of December 1980 in Lagos Nigeria.
She’s even becoming more popular for her singles like “Never felt way”, “1-2-3”, the soulful ballad “only you” which was later remixed with Seyi Shay and “Onyeuwaom” featuring Banky W. Her style of the music is something similar to that of Lara George, an urban or contemporary, Rock, R&B or Pop. She also has a soft spot for humanitarianism which made known by the Nigerian National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI).
Nikki Laoye Biography and Early Life
Nikki Laoye comes from a lineage were music is predominant; late Adetoyese Laoye, who was a renowned talking drum(gongon) expert that came from Osun state. She rose to stardom with her single ” never felt this way before” from her debut album “Angel 4 life” which landed her the nickname small one with a huge voice. The single featured other artists like the well-known rooftop MC and her brother Rapsai, while the “someone to love” was a love ballad which featured R&B artist Jeremiah Gyang and others. She’s the only daughter of Olori Christiana Yetunde Laoye and Prince Olushola Isaac Laoye amongst three boys namely Femi, bola, and Ade known as xblaze, who is a producer and Hip Hop artist in Lagos.
At age five, she enrolled in choir and dance classes, and she also attended Grace children school at Gbagba were her music teacher noticed her brilliant talent in music. So he decided to give lessons at the end of school activities. She went on to further her education at Federal Government Girl’s College, Sagacity, then she graduated in 1998 and went to the University of Ibadan where she joined the music school choir and also joined various music and dance groups like exousia, soul alliance, and girl group trio soul sistas.
Nikki Laoye Music Career — Nikki Laoye Biography
Laoye decided to join the youth band of Ikoyi Baptist Church in 1998, then She was introduced into contemporary gospel by a good friend and music director named Regina Bassey, where she served as a soloist or lead vocalist for a certain number of years. Then, she later joined Houses On The Rock choir where she also served as a vocalist for both the branch in Ibadan and Lagos for 10years. She was also a member of Soul Sistas, a music band that was formed at the female hostel of the University of Ibadan and the girls were Laoye, Debola, jester and Aboyowa Tene. The ladies met during an evening of social gathering where they expressed their talent in singing and decided to form a group. They became the group solely because of the passion they had for music and got their band name “Soul Sistas” after a performance where the pastor, Pastor Osunmakinde (who is the current pastor of the baptizing church) said, “these ladies sing to your souls”. In 2003, a young lady named Funmi Ojo joined their group but they later returned to a trio that same year.
The Soul Sistas remained a solid acapella group throughout the University, about five years and they were well-known for their pleasant harmonies. As life evolved, in 2005 the girls split after they graduated from the University of Ibadan; while Laoye chased a career in music and the rest took up regular jobs. In 2007, they came back to record their first hit titled “Baba l’oke”. One of their group member named Debola contested in MTN Project Fame in 2010 where she finished amongst the top ten contestants. Nikki Laoye’s career kicked off in 2006 when she released her first single titled “Never felt this way before” which was produced by Cobhams. The single got a huge mainstream appeal on radios and her collaboration with rooftops MCs and rap2sai on other single titled “Taka safe” also contributed to her stardom.
She finally dropped her album in 2008 titled “Angel 4 life” which was a collection of contemporary sounds and featured a lot of artists such as Rooftop MC, Blaise, Jeremiah.
She has also performed on the same stage with foreign artists like Kirk Franklin, Cece Winans, and Donnie McClurkin and even in front of audiences of over 500,000 at the 2009 Experience Concert.
Nikki Laoye Husband — Nikki Laoye Biography
Laoye got married to Alexander Oturu on the 11th of December 2011 but the couple separated after Six years of marriage but due to some issues they opted to keep private.
Nikki Laoye Songs
- No, Be Beans
- Mighty God
- Taka Sufe
- Joy Comes
- African Dance
- Someone 2 Love
- Never Felt This Way Before
- Who’s Your Daddy?
- Victory Belongs to Jesus
- In your name
- Can’t Hold Me Down
- Your number
- Superhuman Superwoman
- Baba L’oke
- None + U
- Healing waters
- Family Affair
- Angel 4 Life
- Whatever It Takes
- Get Your Praise On
- Thank You
- Only You
- Nigerian National Anthem
Nikki Laoye Awards and Nominations — Nikki Laoye Biography
- Received nominations for best vocal performance (female) at 2009 Hip Hop World Awards
- Received nominations for the 2009 Hip Hop World Awards for the Award for Best New Artist
- Received Awards at the KORA Awards for Best Arrangement and Best Spiritual Artist
- Received nominations for Best Female Video at the SoundCity Music Video Awards
- Received nominations for the Musician of the Year (Female) at City People Entertainment
- Received nominations for Gospel Artist of the Year at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards, USA:
- Nominated for the 2010 “Taka Sufe” Nigerian Music Video Awards for the award for Best Afro-Hip Hop Video.
- Nominated for Best Gospel Video at the Nigerian Music Video Awards
- Nominated for the Song of the Year at the 2013 African Gospel Music Awards, UK
- Nominated for Worship Song of the Year at the Nigerian Gospel Music Awards
- Nominated for Song of the Year at the Crystal Gospel Awards
- Received Nominations for Best Goodwill Video at the Nigerian National Anthem Nigerian Gospel Music Video Awards
- Received nominations for Best International Song of the Year at the Gospel Music Awards
- Nominated for Best International Female Artist of the Year at Gospel Music Awards, Italy
- Received Nominations for Best International Gospel Hip-Hop of the Year at the Gospel Music Awards, Italy
- Received Award for the Song of the Year by the Nigerian Gospel Music Awards
- Award for the Best Vocal Performance (female) by the 2013 Headies Award
- Nominated for the Best Gospel Artiste at the 2014 African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA 2014)
- Nominated by the 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards for the Award for the Gospel Artist of the Year
- Received Nominations for the Best Worship Song Award by the Crystal Awards 2014
- Nominated by the Crystal Awards 2014 for Artist of the Year Award.
- Nominated for the Best Female Vocalist by the Crystal Awards 2014
- Received Awards given by the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) 2014 for Best Female Artiste in African Inspirational Music
- Won the award for Female Artist of the Year given by 2014 Africa Gospel Music Awards
- Nominated for the Artiste of the Year (West Africa) by the Africa Gospel Music Awards in 2014
- Received Award for the Best Soft Rock/Alternative Video at the 2014 Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA)
- Received awards for the Music Video of the Year selection by the 2015 Yadamag Readers’ Choice Awards (2015)
- Nominations for the Best Gospel Artiste of the Year by the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA 2015): Best Gospel Artiste Nominated
- Received nominations for the Video of the Year Award for the “123” The Crystal Awards 2015
Nikki Laoye Net worth
Nikki Laoye is quite known for her musical expressions which has earned her numerous acknowledgements. She is currently worth an estimated $450,000.