Ginger is part of Zingiberaceae family commonly produced in India, Australia, Indonesia and Jamaica. Being one of the healthiest spice in the world, it originated from the rhizomes of the plant zingiber officinale. Apart from the spicy nature of ginger, it has been found to contain anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties which makes it very beneficial to health and gives it relevance in medicinal usage. Details of these health benefits of ginger are provided below.
Health Benefits of ginger and its medicinal Use
- Cures nausea and vomiting: nausea and vomiting are triggered by vagal nerves and inhibition of serotonin function in the digestive tract. With the intake of ginger, this condition can be prevented or help to facilitate the treatment of vomiting and nausea.
- Aids liver protection: ginger has anti-tuberculosis properties which help to prevent tuberculosis patients from liver toxicity. Again, when it is combined with alpha-lipoic acid, it helps to slow down age related structural changes. These ginger properties make it very effective in the protection of liver damage.
- Fights against cancer: consumption of this herb induces a compound known as apoptosis. This compound is effective in inducing the death of cancer cells in the body. Scared of cancer? Why not ease your fright by including ginger to your daily diet and cancer will not find habitat in your body.
- Improves male fertility: fresh ginger contains essential oil which makes it capable of preventing sperm DNA damage, and protects against oxidative stress that can increase infertility in men.
- Reduces stomach discomforts: One of the health benefits of ginger is its ability to reduce stomach discomforts.It prevents or reduces pains by stimulating gut flow known as peristalsis, accelerates stomach emptying, hence handles digestion problems and related stomach disorder symptoms.
- Fights infection: fresh ginger contains gingerol-a bioactive substance that helps to lower the risk of infections. It is also very effective in eliminating gingivitis, respiratory infections and periodontities.
- Lower menstrual pains: menstruation pains are also known as dysmenorrheal. This refers to the pains women feels during their menstrual cycle. When ginger is taken for the first three days of the menstrual period, it effectively reduces the pains associated with menstruation.
- Cures chronic digestion: this medical condition is also known as dyspepsia which can be accompanied by recurrent pain, discomfort in the upper part of the stomach. It helps to combat this condition by speeding up the rate of emptying of the stomach.
- Lower blood sugar: people with high blood sugar are prone to a serious medical condition known as type 2 diabetes. But with consumption of this herb, the high blood sugar becomes so reduced to the ideal level. This is only made possible by the anti diabetic properties present in ginger.
- Treats Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is a common health problem which involves joint pain; stiffness etc. application of ginger helps to prevent these symptoms and aids the treatment of Osteoarthritis.
Though this herb has no remarkable side effects, but it could still be seen to show mild effect such as aggravating acid flux in some individuals, may affect blood clots, hence it should not be taken at the same time with blood thinning medications.
Having any questions, suggestions, or addition to this article on health benefits of ginger, don’t hesitate to revert to us through the comment box at the end of this post. Thanks for your time.