Garlic is a plant in the Allium family commonly known as onion and it is closely related to shallots and leeks. This herb is native of central Asia, which could be characterized by tiny white pod, strong smelling and pungent tasting usually grown for its cooking properties and its nutritional benefits. There are also lots of health benefits of garlic which shall be explained in details below.
Health Benefits Of Garlic And Its Uses
- Garlic reduces blood pressure: high blood pressure could also be referred to as hypertension which is one of the basic factors that prompt cardiovascular diseases like stroke and heart attacks. High doses of this herb can improve the lowering of blood pressure and eliminate hypertension symptoms.
- Prevents Alzheimer and Dementia diseases: This disease results from oxidative damage by free radicals and ageing defects. Garlic is rich in antioxidant which prevents the body from oxidative damage and ageing thereby lowering the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia disease.
- Improves women bone health: consumption of garlic is capable of increasing estrogen level in females, thereby minimizing bone loss. Garlic rich foods also have beneficial effects on osteoarthritis.
- Lowers cholesterol level: garlic is very rich in Allicin compound. This compound is known for its effectiveness in preventing LDL (Bad) cholesterol from oxidizing. Once this is done, the high cholesterol in the body’s system reduces. This is one of the good health benefits of garlic and why it should be taken more often.
- Improves heart health: regular intake of this herb reduces blood clots and promotes better blood flow by preventing thromboembolism. Thus, prevents hypelipidemia, atherosclerosis, etc.
- Prevents organ damage: organ damage are caused by heavy metals poisoning in the body. This could be prevented by the intake of this herb because of its high sulphur content.
- Eliminate digestive problems: regular intake of garlic helps to boosts digestion by enhancing normal functioning of the intestines and thus eliminates swelling, irritation of the gastric canal and all kinds of related conditions.
- Boost immune system: Another health benefits of garlic is its positive effect on the immune system. The immune system can be strengthened due to the phyto-nutrients present in this herb. The phytonutrients can also prevent DNA damage and reduces oxidative stress.
- Eye care: garlic contains good nutrients like selenium, Vitamin C and quercetin. These properties help in the treatment of eye care and swelling.
- Wound treatment: for an infected would, just place some garlic gloves on the infected part of the body for instant relief.
What a simple way to treat even the most chronic kind of diseases. This wonderful herb can be consumed through various means. Some of the ways to process it could be by chopping, crushing, sliced, or juiced. It could also be used to prepare different kinds of diet, like being used in salad dressing, used in soup preparations, in stew making, for stemming of meat/fish. If you don’t want your garlic to be cooked through any of the means stated, you can choose to eat the fresh one raw after you must have cleaned it well with clean water. However way you choose to take it, the health benefits of garlic will still be available once taken in good dosage. Just devise a way to ensure its regular consumption as it is good for the body.