Guava is a tropical super-fruit which belongs to the myrtle plant family and originated from the Central America. Guavas are oval in shape and light greenish or yellow in color with edible seeds. The fruits are very rich in antioxidants, potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, fibers, lycopenes, and iron. These remarkable nutrients found in the leaves and fruit offer a lot of guava health benefits some of which are contained in this post as you read on.
GUAVA HEALTH BENEFITS OF LEAVES AND FRUITS
- Treating gastroenteritis and diarrhea: guava leaves contains anti-bacterial properties that help to reduce the production of extra mucus which irritates the digestive system and also help to prevent further microbial growth in the intestines.
- Anti-cancer agent: guava fruits and leaves are rich in anti-oxidant called lycopene. This anti-oxidant nutrient help to fight all forms of cancer especially breast cancer, prostate cancer, and oral cancers. Guavas are also capable of inhibiting the production of a hormone known as androgen. This hormone is what promotes the growth of prostate cancer in men.
- Help in weight loss: guava has the abilities of preventing excess weight. This is possible by preventing complex carbohydrates from turning into sugars. Because excess sugar are known for stimulating food cravings and excess weight gain.
- Prevent respiratory ailment: the vitamin C and iron found especially in unripe guava and leaves help to reduce mucus productions. Once this is done the respiratory organs feels un-congested, allowing easy flow of air and eliminating cold.
- Anti-diabetic in nature: the consumption of guava’s fruit has glucose lowering effects. This makes it effective in preventing diabetes or improving the treatment of diabetic patients.
- Boost immunity: One of guava health benefits is its rich source of vitamin C. This vitamin C plays an important role in maintaining a healthy immune system, combating the body’s free radicals hence reduces the risk of infections.
- Prevents constipation: eating more guavas give the body more dietary fiber and also aid in healthy bowel movements thereby preventing constipation, reducing the duration and the intensity of diarrhea.
- They improve eyesight: the vitamin A contained in guava help to decrease the presence of macular degeneration and cataract-age related blindness. Thus; improves the health of the entire eyes enabling good vision.
- Reduces skin related issues: the risk of some common skin problems such as acne, pimples, red bumps, blemishes, blackheads can be reduced by the usage of guava leaves and fruits. You can prevent or treat these skin infections by crushing guava leaves and mix it with little water to form a paste. The paste can be applied to the skin troubled spot, leaving it for a while before rinsing with clean water.
- Controls blood pressure: guavas are high in fiber content and hypoglycemic. These compounds help in controlling blood pressure by preventing blood thickening. It also promotes the fluidity of blood flow throughout the entire body. An elevated blood sugar can as well be combated the intake of guavas.
The guava health benefits cannot be overemphasized as its very good for the body. Guavas are very delicious and tasty and there is no harm in eating them more often even if these other benefits didn’t exist. So when next you see guavas been displaced, pick some up and try them out for the refreshing taste and also remember to provide feedback.