According To the National Universities Commission (NUC) list 2017, Nigeria has 69 private universities; 28 among them are christian universities.
Nigerian churches are not only building sanctuaries and temples for worship and spiritual purposes, they are also building educational institutions. They have in many ways contributed to improving the standard of education in this country.
Below are the top ten Christian Universities in Nigeria today based on the infrastructure on ground, quality of faculty and accreditation of courses.
- Covenant University (CU): Covenant University is located in Ota, Ogun State in Nigeria. It is owned by Living Faith Church. The university was established on 21 October, 2002. Over the years, Covenant University has grown to be one of the leading universities from Nigeria based on annual rankings from various organizations, scholarly citations from reputable journals and JAMB statistics. It is also one of the top christian universities in the country. Official Website: www.covenantuniversity.edu.ng.
- Babcock University: Babcock University is located halfway to Ibadan from Lagos. It is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The university was officially inaugurated on April 20, 1999. Babcock is also one of the top christian universities in Nigeria. Official Website www.babcock.edu.ng
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU): Joseph Ayo Babalola University is located in Ikeji-Arakeji in Osun State, established by the Christ Apostolic Church (CAC). JABU is named after the first Spiritual leader of Christ Apostolic Church, Joseph Ayo Babalola. Official Website: www.jabu.edu.ng
- Bowen University: Bowen is the first and largest Baptist University in Africa. The University is run and owned by the Nigerian Baptist Convention. Bowen University is located at Iwo in Osun State, Nigeria, and it has all its academic programs accredited. Official Website: www.bowenuniversity.edu.ng
- Redeemer’s University: Redeemer’s University is located in Ede town in Osun State. The University belongs to The Redeemed Christian Church of God. The Redeemer’s University was granted her NUC operating license on 7 January 2005. Official Website: www.run.edu.ng
- Landmark University: Landmark University is unarguably, one of the best Christian Universities in Nigeria. It’s related to Covenant University, as it is owned by the Same Church —the Living Faith Church Worldwide. Landmark University is located at Omu-Aran in Kwara State. It was established about 7 years ago on March 21, 2011. Official Webiste: lmu.edu.ng
- Benson Idahosa University: Previously named Christian Faith University but was renamed in honor of Archbishop Benson Idahosa. BIU is located in Benin City, Nigeria. BIU was established February, 2002 by Church of God Mission International (CGMi). BIU is the only university in Africa with International membership with the United States National Academy of Inventors. Official Website: www.biu.edu.ng
- Crawford University: Crawford University Igbesa, Ogun state is owned by the Apostolic Faith Mission. It was established in 2005 by Paul Akazue, the then leader and third general superintendent of the Apostolic Faith. Official Website: www.crawforduniversity.edu.ng
- Madonna University: Madonna University is a private Catholic university in Nigeria at Okija. The university is the first private university in the country and was established in 1999 by Rev. Fr. E.M.P Edeh. Madonna University is also a Catholic University. Official Website: www.madonnauniversity.edu.ng
- Ajayi Crowther University: The University was officially granted the license to operate by the National Universities Commission on 7th of January 2005, and was established by Supra Diocesan Board (West) of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion). The University is named after the first African Bishop Late Samuel Ajayi Crowther, who first translated the bible into Yoruba Language. Offical Website: www.acu.edu.ng
Do you agree with our list of Top ten Christian Universities? We would like to know your views about this article and you can use the comment box below