Diabetes may also be called Diabetes Mellitus. It is the most common endocrine observed in all parts of the world having India as its capital and can be characterized by insulin deficiency, abnormal metabolism of glucose, carbohydrate, lipids, and proteins. These abnormalities are associated with long-term hyperglycemia and metabolic disturbances like non-enzymatic glycation of proteins, peroxidation of membrane lipid, and elevated generation of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS).
Types of Diabetes:
Diabetes exists in two forms; type I diabetes and type II diabetes.
- Type I diabetes: this is also called juvenile diabetes-usually occurs in people who are below 20 years of age. Type I diabetes occurs as a result of the body being partially or completely unable to produce insulin due to the attack of the pancreas by the immune system. This diabetic type can be controlled with a healthy life style.
- Type II Diabetes: this is prevalent to people being above 40 years of age and it occurs as a result of resistance to the produced insulin due to overweight, high blood pressure, poor diet, stress, hormone imbalance, medications effect, and sedentary life style. Type II can be reversed when the sources are corrected unlike type I diabetes which cannot be prevented.
Having known the different levels of diabetes, let’s proceed to the most important aspect of this article which has to do with the herbal and natural ways of curing diabetes without the usual application of pharmaceutical drugs. Scroll down for more details on this.
Top Herbal Treatments for Diabetes:
- Acacia Arabica: this herb is commonly known as thorn tree. Acacia Arabica has a strong antioxidant which has significant reduction of insulin resistance, serum glucose level, decrease in cholesterols, triglycerides, reducing coenzyme Q10. All these anti-diabetic potential makes the herb very effective in the treatment of diabetes.
- Portulacaceae (Portulaca Oleracea): the plant seed commonly known as purslane contains anti-diabetic and antioxidant properties which makes it relevance in the treatment of diabetes by diminishing diabetic vascular inflammation, leucocyte infiltration and interactions with vascular endothelial layer.
- Phyllanthaceae (Phyllanthus Emblica): this herb is commonly known as amla or amlaki- comprising of anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, neuroprotective, and other pharmacological properties which makes it very important in the treatment of wide variety of diseases especially diabetes.
- Punicaceae (Punica granatum): this large shrub or small tree with delicious fruit could also be called pomegranate. Punicaceae flower extract has anti-diabetic potential mediated by improving glucose tolerance.
- Vitis vinifera (Vitaceae): this important medical plant is commonly known as grape. The unripe fruits have anti-diabetic properties; the grape seed extract also has the abilities to reduce diabetic effect in term of reducing blood sugar.
- Rosa Species (Rosaceae): this plant type is capable of reducing blood sugar and glycosylated protein levels, indicating regulation of glucose metabolism. Rosaceae fruits have the abilities of reinforcing antioxidant function and scavenging free radicals thereby aid in combating diabetic properties.
- Withania somnifera and W. coagulans (Solanaceae): the fruits of this plant have therapeutic benefit in chronic degenerative diseases. The fruits extract of this plant posses important reduction in blood sugar and serum cholesterol. Hence, effective in the treatment of this disease.
- Cinnamon Extract: this herb has many health benefits; it has great tendencies in improving insulin sensitivity by decreasing insulin resistance at the cellular level. Again, the herb is capable of lowering blood sugar to a significant amount.
- Fenugreek seeds: the seed of this medicinal plant can affect lower blood sugar, helps to reduce fasting glucose, and improves glucose tolerance due to its high content of fibers.
- Allim Sativum: this is commonly known as garlic; it offers antioxidant properties and micro circulatory effects which makes it possible in reducing blood glucose, increase secretion and slow the degradation of insulin.
Apart from the help you will get from the various herbal remedies above, there are still some ways you can either help to prevent or promote the healing from diabetes through some of your actions. The best life style you can adopt while embarking on this health recovery journey entails; regular exercise, controlling carbohydrate intake, increasing fiber intake, drinking enough water for hydration, choosing foods with low glycemic index, controlling your stress level, having quality sleep, eating foods rich in chromium and potassium, and finally, always monitor your blood sugar levels through regular testing in any good laboratory. Once you can consistently do these, this disease won’t have a place in your body.